Valle di Gressoney

Chapels in the Lys Valley

Places of history and worship

By: Gressoney Monterosa

Cappella di S.Anna

The Alps have always been places particularly rich in religious buildings. And this is not only found in our Region, but also in the entire Alpine region.

It so happens to those who venture into the valleys to encounter along the way, numerous chapels, erected most often, in isolated places and generally dedicated to a Saint to whom the native population is particularly devoted.

They are buildings built with extreme simplicity in which hovers, however, a deep religiosity that is difficult to find in other sacred places.

 

The most beautiful in Gressoney La Trinité

The Betta Chapel, dedicated to St. Anne, stands solitary in the midst of green pastures at an altitude of 2175 meters (4,970 feet) an hour's drive from the valley floor; it can also be reached by cable car from Staffal. Built in 1726 by Giacomo Thédy, it has a domed vault with paintings of the 4 Evangelists, St. Nicholas and St. Valentine while higher up is Pentecost with Our Lady and symbols of the Apostles. Inside is a gilded wooden altar with 2 twisted columns, remains of the statue of St. Michael, 4 wooden candlesticks, crucifix, stone holy water stoup and a architrave dated 1734.

The Oagre Chapel, dedicated to Our Lady of the Snows, is located in Staffal at an altitude of 1840 meters in the area of the ski lifts near the "Graces" fountain. It was founded by Giuseppe Curtaz former parish priest of Issime in 1776 following a vision. Inside are remains of a 19th-century altar.

The Biel Chapel stands at 1810 m and is dedicated to St. Roch, St. Sebastian and Our Lady of the Snows, the chapel stands out white in front of the houses on a beautiful ledge amidst the green. Founded by Giacomo Thédy in 1736, it has larch doors and floor, inside canvases of St. Vandelinus and St. Georgius, cabinet with reliquary and missals from the 600s/700s, canvases of Mary Help of Christians, St. John the Baptist and St. Nicholas.

The Gabiet Chapel is dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin, located near the Lake of the same name a few minutes from the arrival of the cable car. It is very small, built of bare stone on land donated by Cav.E.De La Pierre in 1960. It has a small bell tower on the stone roof, a stone altar, a wrought-iron door, and a niche with a statue of Our Lady.

The Chapel at the Gnifetti Hut, dedicated to Our Lady of the Glaciers, was built in 1967 in memory of Don Aristide Vesco and all those who fell on the mountain on the trail to Cristo delle Vette. It is located at 3647 meters near the Gnifetti Hut on Monte Rosa. It was designed to withstand the weather by sacrificing art. At the entrance is a wooden crucifix and an embossed copper Madonnina by Malinverni. It is the highest chapel in the Alps and since 1978, on August 5, a place to remember the fallen on Monte Rosa.

Chaffal Chapel dedicated to St. Peter and Paul and St. Nicholas, located in a wooded area and founded by Giovanni Monterin in 1624. The floor is made of larch and there are remains of the old polychrome altar from the 1700s.

Orsio Chapel dedicated to St. James and located at 1743 m, was founded in 1652, has larch floors and a walnut balustrade. The altar inside is from the 1800s with a painting of the Holy Virgin and two saints.

 

The most beautiful in Gressoney Saint Jean

The Chapel of Alpenzu Grande, dedicated to St Margaret and built in 1663 by the Rev Guglielmo Zimmermann, is located in one of the most beautiful villages in the municipality of Gressoney Saint Jean. It can be reached by a splendid walk of about half an hour. The chapel, like the village, is clearly visible from the main town. The façade has a fresco of St Margaret, the door is in old larch. Inside is a polychrome wooden altar from the 18th century with small columns, statues of St Margaret with two angels, St Anthony of Padua and a monk. Wall cupboard with missal from 1675.

The Baron Peccoz Mortuary Chapel stands just above the village centre, built in neo-Gothic style in 1890 for the burial of members of the Peccoz family.

The Ecko Chapel is located in the very characteristic little village of the same name on a small ledge to the left of the Lys. Dedicated to St John of Nepomuk and Our Lady of Sorrows. Built in 1657 by Giovanni Luscoz, it has a façade painted with the Annunciation, St. Francis receiving the stigmata and St. Anthony of Padova. In a niche is a painting of the Madonna. There is also a beautiful sundial.

The Loo Chapel is located at 2080 m in a magnificent spot that can be reached by a two-and-a-half-hour walk from the hamlet of Loomatten. It is dedicated to St Lawrence and Our Lady of the Snows. The white façade is dated 1682, the door is in old larch wood, the floor is in stone and the vaulted ceiling. Inside is a simple wooden altar with statues of the Madonna of Oropa, St. James and St. Lawrence.

The Noversch Chapel is located at 1535 m in the hamlet of the same name near a beautiful old stone bridge that crosses the Lys stream. It should date back to 1540. The door is made of old larch wood, the floor of stone and the vaulted ceiling. The altar is in masonry with a crucifix and the small bell tower has no bell.

The Perletoa Chapel is located on the regional road beyond the main town in the hamlet of Perletoa. It is dedicated to St Anne and St Anthony of Padua. Founded in 1683 by the Castel family, it is now owned by the De La Pierre family. The pews inside are dated 1770 and bear the Walser coat of arms. The 18th century altar is in polychrome wood with twisted columns. Canvas with the Madonna, St. Joseph and St. Anthony of Padua. Cupboard with missal from 1782.

The Upper Castel Chapel is dedicated to Our Lady of the Snows and St. Grato. It was founded in 1717 by the parish priest Mark Beck on the ruins of a Challand fortress. The beam is dated 1716. In the village where it is located, a school with rectory was founded in 1806. The pews are made of worked larch. Stations of the cross and a barrel vault. Inside, a wooden altar dated 1700 with twisted columns and a cupboard with the remains of candlesticks and missal from 1790.

The Chemonal Chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Grace and Our Lady of Sorrows is located on the main road immediately after the Dresal plain, in the hamlet of the same name. Built in 1749 and renovated in 1947, it has a larch floor and a beautiful kneeler from 1593. Inside is a wooden altar and vault with a hanging crucifix.

The Hermitage Chapel, dedicated to St Joseph, stands white and solitary at the end of the forest shortly after the capital. Built by parish priest Sebastiano Menabrea in 1663, it has a façade with three niches, wooden floor and balustrade. Three upstream window sashes are made of polychrome worked wood from the 18th century. Inside, a canvas with a scene of the agony of Christ, a barrel vault with medallions of the Nativity and the Baptism of Jesus.

On the same topic

Laghi Palasinaz

Val d'Ayas

Culture

5 things not to miss in Val d'Ayas

Brusson

Val d'Ayas

Active

Brusson 1.338 m.

Villaggio di Mascognaz

Val d'Ayas

Culture

Mascognaz village

A fairytale village made of chalets
Estate 2024 - Orari e date di apertura degli impianti

Active

Summer 2024 - Lift opening timetables and dates

rascard

Val d'Ayas

Active

Trekking to discover the Walser villages

la pietra ollare

Val d'Ayas

Culture

The Soapstone of Saint Jacques

Sacro Monte di Varallo

Valsesia

Culture

Lift Sacro Monte di Varallo

Mercatino Sant'Anna

Val d'Ayas

Culture

The traditional market is back this summer in Sant'Anna

Castello di Issogne

Val d'Ayas

Culture

Issogne's Castle

Refined residence of the Counts of Challant
Walser women's dress from Gressoney

Valle di Gressoney

Culture

History & Culture Gressoney

Gressoney and its History
Alpe di Mera

Valsesia

Active

Alpe di Mera 1.500 m.

brusson

Val d'Ayas

Culture

Brusson: things to do when it rains

Champorcher

Valle di Champorcher

Active

Champorcher 1.427 m.

Alagna folk group

Valsesia

Culture

Die Walser Im Land

Cinema Saint'Anna

Val d'Ayas

Culture

Sant'Anna Cinema

Gressoney Castello

Valle di Gressoney

Culture

Savoia Castle

Queen Margherita's mansion with Monte Rosa view
Gressoney-Saint-Jean

Valle di Gressoney

Active

Gressoney-Saint-Jean 1.385 m.

antagnod

Val d'Ayas

Culture

The village of Antagnod

Queen Margaret of Savoy

Valle di Gressoney

Culture

Queen Margaret of Savoy in Gressoney

The Queen who loved Gressoney and Monte Rosa
sabots esposti in un villaggio di Ayas

Val d'Ayas

Culture

The Sabots of Ayas

Browse