The parish church of Verrès has belonged since its foundation to the community of canons of the Saint-Gilles Regular.
The primitive building dates back to the Romanesque period, as evidenced by the small square bell tower that remained standing; the biographers of Giorgio di Challant say that he made it form the roof with Gothic vaults in 1509. The construction of the burial chapel dedicated to the Virgin and St. George by Iblelo of Challant dates back to 1407.
The building, built on the cemetery adjacent to the church, has stylistic characteristics similar to the other great architectural enterprise promoted by Ibleto, the castle of Verrès: it is an essential building, externally in exposed stone, with a square plan covered by a cross vault; sober and refined decoration, entrusted to the architectural elements carved in stone: the ribs that rise directly from the ground and disappear in the vault in four large sails, the large window with three lights, of exquisite Gothic taste, the molded profiles of the sink and portal.
In 1776 the old church, now insufficient for the needs of the population and in poor state of preservation, was demolished and in its place was erected the current church in Baroque style. During these works the chapel of Ibleto was incorporated into the building, becoming the first span; the door that connected the chapel with the ancient church was reused as the main entrance portal.
The decoration of the church was completely renovated in 1912, on the occasion of the celebration of the millennium of the foundation of the convent, by the brothers Alessandro, Augusto, and Antonio Artari, painters of Verrès.