In the process of transformation of the medieval economy, the influence of the monasteries and the presence of the feudal lords, who boosted transalpine trade, favoured the settlement of Walser settlers in Upper Valsesia from the second half of the 13th century. The foundation of the Walser colonies dates back to around 1285, although no documents have been found that can attest to this with certainty. There is certainly no mention of Walser settlements in the alpine pastures of Pietre Gemelle in the Treaty of Brusson of 1270. Slowly, between the end of the 13th and the beginning of the 14th century, the former monastery pastures, especially the valley bottom stations, were transformed into stable Walser villages. The oldest testimony dates back to 1302, relating to the Pedemonte settler 'Anrigeto alemanno di Apud Mot', who constituted a dowry for his daughter with a notarial deed, with the obligation for his son-in-law Pietro Gualcio to participate in the running of the family's agricultural-pastoral business.
The Walser age, alagna foundation